New Device and Diagnostics Legislation Could Shake Up the Drug Industry | Diaceutics

New Device and Diagnostics Legislation Could Shake Up the Drug Industry

September 23rd, 2013

Patrick Considine

Patrick Considine of Diaceutics comments on the 2013 proposals by the European Parliament’s Health Committee to introduce new legislation for devices and in vitro diagnostics. 

This month [September 2013], the European Parliament’s Health Committee will reach its view on the two major proposals launched last year by EU officials — one on devices, and one on in vitro diagnostics. In October, the parliament as a whole is due to agree its definitive opinion on the proposals. And before the end of the year, the governments of the EU’s 28 member states are expected to finalize their position on the proposals, too. So by early 2014, new rules should be signed off that will change the face of EU controls on these products (http://www.pharmexec.com/europe-new-device-and-diagnostics-legislation-could-shake-drug-industry).

If the proposals are passed, a number of changes impacting regulation of IVDs in the EU will be introduced:

  1. The IVD Directive would be replaced by IVD Regulations. EU member states have interpreted and implemented the current directives in different ways, which led to different levels of patient and public health protection in the European Union and created obstacles within the single market. The draft EU Regulations, which are laws unto themselves, do not need to be transposed into law within each member state, as is the case for directives.
  2. The proposed Regulation introduces a new risk-rule classification system based on the Global Harmonization Task Force (GHTF) classification rules which will impact the review requirement for all IVDs. Under the current IVD directive (98/79/EC), approximately 80 per cent of IVD products are grouped in the self-certification class. In the proposed Regulation only 20 per cent of IVD products will remain in the self-certification category, while a form of third-party pre-market intervention will be required for the remaining 80 per cent of products. All ‘human genetic testing’ falls into Class C. This will set a higher bar for device manufacturers than the current self-certification system. Manufacturers of Class C devices will have their quality management systems inspected by national Notified Bodies. This will make approval of IVD products more expensive and slower.
  3. The exemption from the regulations for devices manufactured and used within the same health institution (LDT) is retained, but is now restricted to health institutions compliant with ISO 15189 or other equivalent recognized standard. Labs which are not accredited would only be allowed to use CE-marked tests.

Blogs

View all blogs

Webinars & Podcasts

August 9th, 2018
Podcast: Oncology Patient Research
Why do we need to talk biomarkers with patients? Senior Director of Market Research at Diaceutics, Marianne Fillion, recently spearheaded an effort to gather insights directly from oncology patients to get an understanding of what they know about ...
April 20th, 2018
Podcast: PM Readiness Report 2018
Peter Keeling discusses the landscape and challenges for precision medicine, companion diagnostics, CDx or biomarker and conduit diagnostics are discussed including global laboratory test data analysis and forecasts for budget impact and value.
View all

Expert Insights

April 19th, 2018
The CMS National Coverage Decision on NGS
I. Introduction On March 16, 2018, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) finalized a National Coverage Determination (NCD) that cove...
January 19th, 2018
What does the EU IVD Regulation mean for companion diagnostics and LDTs?
Dave Smart, PhD, Director at Diaceutics, discusses the introduction of the EU IVD Regulation. While it is considered a necessary step, the Regulati...
View all expert insights

Competitive Benchmarking Reports

March 16th, 2018
PM Readiness Report 2018 Summary
March 14th, 2017
Pharma Readiness for Diagnostic Integration 2017
View all reports

Case Studies

View all case studies

Publications

September 11th, 2018
BRAF mutation testing in melanoma – Poster presented at European Congress of Pathology 2018
BRAF mutation testing in melanoma: a study including Austria, Germany and UK, highlighting concordance for current technologies, and potential requirement of more sensitive technologies in future applications.
August 3rd, 2018
A Way Forward: Leveraging Advanced Diagnostic Testing to Unlock the Value of Precision Medicine
Read about how advanced diagnostic testing, ensuring that right patient gets the right therapy, at the right time, particularly with respect to therapies where the test result determines whether or not the therapy should be used (precision medicin...
View all publications
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
LinkedIn